Reawakening Our History and Reimagining the Now
Our Reawakening & Reimagining programming has come from the minds and hearts of our community members, and is developed to challenge privileged social change models, instead centering the wisdom and stories of targeted communities. We prioritize BIPOC and QT/BIPOC, as well as community members with other intersecting targeted identities, from conception to completion of each program.
- Spring: Nothing About Us Without Us is our civic engagement series. So many of us do not have access to understand, interrupt, or influence the systems that govern our lives. We have explored topics inside and outside the system, including how to write a ballot measure, voting rights, the census, and historic and current community organizing tactics.
- Summer: Community Conversations is a space for conversations about challenges within and across communities. Topics come directly from community members. Past event topics have included unpacking the language we use to talk about violence and nonviolence, the role of multiracial community members in racial justice work, and intergenerational activism.
- Summer: UPRISE Virtual Book Club, prioritizing BIPOC and QT/BIPOC authors. Participants receive a care package, and UPRISE would be happy to loan out the book we're reading to anyone who needs a copy to participate. Our next group is set to begin in August, 2021, and community members are in the process of picking the book they'd like to explore. Sign up and weigh in here.
- Fall: The Selah Series is a BIPOC storytelling space. Each night brings with it a different focus: Stories of Creation, Stories of Healing, and Stories of Resistsance, with community building and healing activities between storytellers. Our culminating event is Outliving Thanksgiving, the Story of Thankstaking, which includes performances from BIPOC artists and a shared meal.
- Winter: YouthRise is our youth programming, set to launch in early 2022. Our first program under YouthRise will be KidsRise, a space for youth to engage in art and performance around the ideas of liberation and to share their experiences with challenging oppression.
- We are currently accepting submissions for KidsRise 2022! Learn more and submit your artwork HERE.